Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Freelance Writing Sites to Avoid: Content Current and Break Studios

If you’re like me, you love finding new places to work as a freelance writer, but finding them is tough. I don’t mind it when I find one and the pay is dinky because even though it’s not right for me, it’s right for someone. What I can’t stand, however, is when I find one that seems all well and good. They have a working website that doesn’t look like a little kid designed it, so I sign up, get a few automatic emails that say, “thanks for signing up,” and then . . . nothing.

I have two sites right now that are on this list: Content Current and Break Studios. I will discuss my trials and tribulations with these two sites, in the hopes it will save you a lot of wasted time.


I discovered Content Current about a week ago, and it looked promising. Their website is clean and easy-to-understand, so I applied. After filling out the application, I had to take a five question grammar test, which I easily passed.

I then received an automated email telling me I needed to write a test article within 48 hours. Happily, I went back to my profile on the Content Current website, but it wanted me to take the five question grammar test again, so I did. And then again and again and AGAIN!

Every time I tried to do anything, it just kept taking me back to the grammar test. Once I realized I wasn’t in some paradox time loop, and this was a bug, I sent in a ticket (that same day). A few days passed while I was busy with other work and enjoying the weekend, when I realized I hadn’t heard back from them, so I updated my ticket, but I still haven’t heard back from them.

Being my grandmother’s granddaughter and one to get annoyed with tomfoolery, I decided to search them out via social media. Well, I couldn’t find them on Facebook, so I checked Twitter. I couldn’t find an account, and the only comments about Content Current were from 2012 and late 2013.

My Verdict: They’ve vanished into thin air, leaving their partially functioning website behind. If anyone has any more information on this site, please let us know. It’s quite infuriating.  


I originally applied at Break Studios about two years ago or so, but my writing was not what it is today, and I was rejected. Since my writing had improved greatly since then, I decided to apply again. I attempted to follow the initial application, but, as I assumed, it wouldn’t let me because I had already done so in the past.

So about a week ago, I sent them a help desk ticket, since that was the only way I could get in touch with them. I waited, but nothing happened. Tired of waiting, I decided to follow the path I took with Content Current. Alas, they did not have a Facebook page, but their website did have a link to their Twitter account.

On Twitter, I mentioned to them that I haven’t had my question answered yet, and then I realized their last Tweet was from November 2010, so that’s where I ended my journey.

Well, almost. . .

I determined that Break Studios is part of Defy Media, which seems to still be thriving. Their Twitter account is quite active. I’ve just sent them an email asking if Break Studios is still up and running, and I’ll let you know what I hear.

My Verdict: I can’t imagine Break Studios is still hiring writers if their Twitter account died in 2010. Yet, like Content Current, they decided to leave their website up and running to trick us foolish freelance writers.

Well, I hope I saved you a little time from signing up for these to tricksters. Keep writing and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment